Wednesday 12 October 2011

THROUGH HEAVEN,HELL AND BACK !

The 9 day himalayan trek - the mother of all LBSNAA treks started on october 1.. Our entire batch was divided into 15 groups ( with groups 11 and 12 being "usain bolt" groups and 15 being " the bhajan mandal " group ie. injured guys who travel in bus all over the pilgrim places and create mischief). I was "placed" in group 3 which had quite a few attractive destinations. We loitered all over mussoorie in the name of "trek shopping" and purchased everything from gloves to monkey caps to all toileteries. I decided beforehand that i wasnt going to bath for the next 10 days and bought myself a very strong DEO. We were also given sleeping mats and bags from the academy. So with all the fun of "trek shopping", we were all set to leave on Oct 1st morning.
                                                                     It was 5.30 am and the loud PT whistle shook me off my bed. As usual, the previous day, i played the fool when all others were busy packing and finally now it was time to go and my things were lying all over my room. I dumped everything into the bag and ran out of the room as fast i could to " karmshila" building where the buses were stationed. "Hindustani" sung by shankar mahadevan welcomed me there (in the loud speakers)  as most people were busy clicking photographs, some were delivering last minute "advices" to people ( as if they do the himalayan trek every month), some tech geeks were busy meddling with their GPS gadgets,Some romeos were still cribbing that they could get into their juliets' group, few members of "usain bolt" group were still talking about their gym workouts - overall it was a festive and a busy atmosphere. Soon the final whistle blew and all the buses started (groupwise) , all of us were literally PUMPED UP for the occasion.
                                                                      The bus hardly moved 20kms and most of my "pumped up" friends puked up !, the uneven terrain being the primary reason. I sat beside my friend, listening to music, munching namkeen and enjoying the holiness possessed by the hills. We were supposed to travel about 260km by bus that day - It meant more puking, sleeping for some,but meant more snacks and music for me. I also used up this time to get acquainted with new people who were in my group. Along the way, we crossed picturesque places like Dhanolti, Tehri dam, some wonderful apple farms, ravaging ganges past uttarkashi and finally landed in gangotri ( our destination for the day) amidst rainfall and very cold conditions. I got down from the bus cribbing about the weather, not knowing that the best and the worst were yet to come...
( To be continued)

1 comment: